Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sammy's Adoption Story Part 2

Part 2:

Ahhh – I am having a hard time getting to this…sorry! ..the next day (after my phone call to Bonnie) I get a phone call from Bonnie – She opens up with, “God is sure smiling down on you.” So I figure the agency was going to let us sign up even though Jessy was under 1 year old…then Bonnie continues and tells me that she met a birthmom - Bonnie at this time was the director of the agency…so she didn’t counsel the girls anymore – this was a special situation – the girl was a model and the mom wanted Bonnie to be the one to meet with her daughter. Bonnie went to meet her the same day I called her but didn’t tell me that day that she was meeting with a birthmom! She said that as she sat there listening to this girl that she knew it was a good fit for us. Had I not called that day, she wouldn’t have even thought about it – God’s sovereignty and timing are just amazing. I guess everything she described, described our family. Bonnie said, “Tracy if she knew your name, she would have said you were the family.”

Bonnie then told me that she was going to let us write our letters but that we had one day to do them – she was taking 5 other families for the girl to “see” – birthmom’s actually read letters from prospective parents and look at pictures. Then they chose someone from the letters and then meet them in person. They never want the girls to meet and interview tons of families – they really want them to be somewhat set before they meet the families.

So I type out my letter and email it. Bonnie calls me laughing and tells me it has to be handwritten and to put it on pretty stationary. Remember that Jessy was through the attorney - I had typed that birthmom letter - so I was not prepared to hand write it! We didn't know the agency was different. It was late at this point (too late to go buy some paper) – I didn't have great stationary but I did have some Classic Winnie the Pooh paper – I was actually embarrassed to use it but it was all that I had. Jessy’s room was all Classic Pooh – I loved it and even had collector pieces etc – but I didn’t think it was what I should write my letter on…. I had about 5 sheets left. I made mistake after mistake on that letter, throwing piece after piece away. I was down to 2 sheets. I had to make scratch outs – it was awful! I have never been a good printer - I prefer to type always and that's because I always make mistakes! I hope I can find the letters – I’ll try – Ily might have them. I was sad that it wasn’t perfect and really pretty but I was out of paper. I thought for sure this birthmom would think I was a mess and not “with it” at all! I called Bonnie and asked if Robert could type his and she said yes…so his was typed and I put it on the ugliest paper ever - again it was all I had! I really was so embarrassed about what I was turning in but we had no choice. We knew if God was in this that it wouldn’t matter. We drove out to Bonnie’s home that night to deliver the letters…I think she must have been meeting them the next day again. I think I gave her a stack of pictures too.

Driving out to Bonnie’s to deliver the letters was exciting to me even though I knew this was a longshot - especially with the mess the mom was going to read! Jessy’s birthmom really wanted Jessy to be the first child. Jessy at this point was only 8 months old or so. It just seemed far fetched that someone would choose us…but something in what Bonnie said about Ily’s description of what she wanted in a family gave us hope.

This is Sammy and Ily in 2002. Ily means "I Love You" It was how Ily's dad signed his letters to her mother - instead of saying I love you - he said, "ily". Isn't that the sweetest thing?

1 comments:

Chris, Aubrey, and Karsten June 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

Aw, sweet Sammy! I love this picture, and I love the story about Ily's name:)

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Tracy Dodson. Make your own badge here.

About This Blog

I started this for fun...I don't journal - this is a great way to do it. The best thing is that I turn each year into a blog book :O)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP