Saturday, November 3, 2007

Steph's Adoption Story Continued... Part 2

Part 1 is below - you can also click the labels on the right (Steph's Adoption Story) to go back and read Part 1)

Part 2:

Saturday night October 23rd we decided to go to a Steven Curtis Chapman Concert. I think we called Rick at the last minute and he was able to get us 4 tickets to the concert at the Greek. The Shacks went with us – we had great seats. I was going to go and help at the adoption tables and I remember being really excited about that. It had been a long time since I had done anything for the cause of adoption. I remember it being cold which is probably why I got sick the next day. Since 2001, Chapman's family had adopted three girls from China. His whole concert was on adoption. It brought back all the joy from the other kids – reminded us of God’s goodness to us in all our adoptions. Robert and I have always felt that adoption is such a great picture of the gospel – how we are adopted as sons. Steven shared verses, his story, pictures of his daughter – it was so touching and sweet. He talked about how adoption reflects the gospel. It is so true!! We were reminded at how much we have been able to share Christ with our kids, acquaintances, etc. just with adoption. I kept nudging Robert the whole time (please, I want another one!!!) – he just kept smiling back at me…On the way home, Robert said he would commit it to prayer and that he was open to it – I knew that was a long way from being closed to it like he had been. I was excited and just figured I would sit back and see what the Lord would do. I also knew that I needed to be open to the fact that I was getting older and no one would probably want to place their baby in a home with 4 kids already and two old people! I didn’t think about it Sunday as we went to church and then I got sick. I kind of figured Robert would pray over it the next few months…Unbeknownst to me, Robert committed to pray all day Monday (Oct 25th). I remember him telling me that after he prayed for a long time the Lord changed his heart to be open to another adoption. He remembers praying, “Ok Lord, we’ll do it, but it has to be fast, it has to be easy as if a baby was going to be dropped on our doorstep!” I think the thought of going through the whole process was a lot for him. If you have ever adopted, you know the process – it really is long and hard (yet very rewarding at the same time!!) There are lots of papers to fill out, lots of things to do - doctor appointments, interviews, home inspections, even the children needed doctor appointments etc. I think it all overwhelmed him as we already had four kids and work was picking up. Our church was only a year old at the time and things were just busy. I was sick on Monday – couldn’t speak – literally couldn’t talk. When our friend Bonnie called I asked him to answer and tell her I was sick but wanted to say hi! It’s always a treat when she calls because we are really good friends and we don’t get to talk as much as we would like to. He came back an 1 ½ later with his beaming smile (you know the one I mean???) I said, “Oh my gosh, she has a baby!!!”

9 comments:

Miller Family November 3, 2007 at 1:47 PM  

Really mean- to leave me hanging like that- but since I know the end thats ok!

Unknown November 3, 2007 at 2:54 PM  

ha ha! it's hard to write it all so i write it in sections!!

Unknown November 3, 2007 at 6:29 PM  

Oh my gosh, I love reading your story about Steph! Keep writing, please! And that is the Bonnie who you said was coming over tonight, huh?

Anonymous November 3, 2007 at 8:08 PM  

I imagine that we'll be talking often when it comes time to write Dani's story, huh? I can't believe that you told the world about the tatoo on Stephanie's bottom. :)

rick November 5, 2007 at 6:43 AM  

Very cool "to be continued" story of God's grace. Heidi and I talk about the future possibility of adopting one day. We both think it would be very cool, but neither of us thinks it's God's will or timing for us at this time. I wouldn't be surprised to find us walking down that road in a few years though.

We were supposed to be at that SCC concert (it was at the Greek, btw, but a very similar venue... the outdoor venues can have some great sound), but Emma decided to come out 2 1/2 weeks early on 10/21. I still need to spank her for that. Shawn Farrell called from the show and let me listen to the last 10 minutes of the concert via cell phone, as I sat in the hospital hallway. A true friend, indeed. Heidi told me I could go to the concert but please... not even SCC could take me from my Emma!!!

And I think by that time SCC had all three girls from China (since the youngest Maria is (I believe) 4 now and this show was 3 years ago).

I apologize for my OCD... ;-)

Unknown November 5, 2007 at 7:35 AM  

Rick -

Thanks for all the corrections!! This is why I have a blog because I don't remember things as well as I should.

I had wondered if he had two and was waiting on the third - but I think you are right - I think he had all three! Maria was very new at that point. Maybe she was the announcement at the show! I'll fix it...

I'm not much of a concert goer - I'll fix the place too!! ha ha!

Did you go to the last concert????

rick November 5, 2007 at 9:13 AM  

Yes. The night before you did. You can see my review on my blog.

rick November 5, 2007 at 9:27 AM  

Oh... one more thing.

Right after Thanksgiving 2005 we had a miscarriage. I wrote a song about it that you can hear on MySpace at

www.myspace.com/rickhorio

The song is called "Still Missing You."

Maybe it will minister to you and Robert. I believe that our babies are in Heaven with Jesus, though many well-respected pastors and theologians would not be as sure. Which is fine... but I don't need to debate anyone about it. Scripture gives me this belief and ultimately we will find out when we are in the presence of Christ. In the meantime, I have this hope...

Unknown November 5, 2007 at 9:22 PM  

Thanks Rick - I'm going to go listen to the song.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Tracy Dodson. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

About This Blog

I started this for fun...I don't journal - this is a great way to do it. The best thing is that I turn each year into a blog book :O)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP