Steph's Adoption Story Continued... Part 6
Part 6:
When she was discharged the following day we went back to Bonnie’s and signed all the papers. Lots of papers…the Ardo’s came - we all took turns holding Steph. Jamie and her daughter Lauren left first and then a little while later we brought her home. Of course the whole situation was bittersweet – such a hard emotional time – and yet the most joyful of days. It’s so hard to explain unless you have experienced it. As the mom – I’m so sad for the birthmom, and yet it’s hard to contain the excitement of knowing that that little precious life is yours to take care of as long as God wills. There were lots of tears shed and yet at the same time there was laughter and joy – on everyone’s face. I’m so glad Jamie’s daughter Lauren was there to support her. Her daughter has been so supportive of us the entire time.
Stephanie was a state adoption. The state filed all the paperwork and did our home study. That means Jamie could have changed her mind in the first 30 days – we weren’t worried. She didn’t. The adoption took a while. Our caseworker had 50 other cases. She was the most scatter-brained lady I have ever met! I had to tell her how to do certain things and how adoptions worked. I remember that in some conversations I had to explain the law to her!!! She kept telling me that I knew so much more than she did. I asked her if she wanted to see the baby’s room – she said, “nah, unless I wanted her to.” I asked her if she wanted to see my locked up medicine cabinet, “nah…” She did want to see my bathroom and wanted to know what the name of my tile was. She asked my kids if they liked Stephanie. She told me all about her life – she was divorced – she told me about her three children – how hard her life was, etc. I was able to share Jesus with her. She didn’t really want to hear it. The paperwork for the state was quite ridiculous. All they really wanted to know was if we drink or anyone around us drinks – very interesting. They asked questions about drinking in about ten different ways. They wanted to know if we liked our parents and what our arguments were about growing up! I don’t remember them asking about Robert and I…maybe they did! What a difference from a private Christian agency who is concerned about your hearts for Jesus! At one point she told me she needed to call the birthmom back and ask her if she still wanted to give me the baby and if she had cancer. I told her that she couldn’t call her anymore – that she already told her she wanted to give us the baby and that she doesn’t have cancer!!! I even told her if she did call Jamie, I would report her to her supervisor and that I wanted this adoption finalized within 2 weeks. She called me back and said her supervisor said to sign us off! So…–we passed the drinking test and apparently satisfied the over-worked and stressed social worker. Steph was officially adopted at the beginning of 2006. Had we not pushed her, I still think we would be going over the same things and Steph would not have been finalized! This lady asked me the same questions every time we met. We qualified for big $ credits on both our federal and state taxes – don’t think you can’t afford it! We actually got paid to adopt her when it was all over … $2,500 to be exact…Maybe we ought to do it again :O)
We had nothing – had to get everything. Friends at my home school group threw me a surprise shower – I was overwhelmed by the gifts. They supplied most of our needs. I borrowed Jenna’s crib and everything else just fell into place.
Steph was a very easy baby the first year. She slept great, scheduled herself, was pleasant, sweet – always happy . She was active and did things quickly – I’ll list her milestones tomorrow… People would say to me – you are so lucky to have such an easy baby! Hhhhmmmmm…..
3 comments:
I like that you did this right before her third birthday, not sure if you planned it that way but it's really neat:)
I can't believe how much dark hair she had!
All the kids look so small- 3 years makes a huge difference! WOW!
Post a Comment