Steph's Adoption Story Continued... Part 3
Part 3:
And of course, my question at this point was, “…and you said, yes??????” I couldn't believe it. Here I had been bothering him for a few months, he prays ONE day and Bonnie calls that night! Not only that, but the baby was due in 2 weeks or so. Bonnie explained that this birthmom had two families that backed out – the first family got chosen by two birthmoms and went with the other one - the second family decided to pursue an international adoption instead – Jamie had chosen them and they knew it but backed out anyway. Jamie needed a family that knew how to deal with birthmom’s and didn’t need any counseling because the adoptive family may have to do it all on their own (meet with the mother, hospital, birth etc!) Did I mention that Bonnie was NOT an adoption counselor anymore and wasn’t very available? She had decided to take a job at her kid’s school as a high school counselor/teacher (which was a full time position!). Robert and I have been involved in a lot of adoptions with Bonnie. We have spoken at things with her, been in panels etc. I have actually gone on some meetings with birthmoms, hospital births etc. Those are funny and interesting stories in and of themselves!!! So all that to say, I have dealt with many birthmoms and adoptive couples and wasn’t afraid that the Lord would ask us to do this and ask me specifically to take care of Jamie’s heart. He had me walk alongside Bonnie even to prepare me for this! God is simply amazing isn’t he? He prepares us for things that we have no idea will happen! Turns out this Jamie was the same birthmom Bonnie had called about in the summer. God’s ways are so amazing to me. Never doubt His goodness in your life.
When I get around to writing the other stories, you will see why this adoption is so different from the other ones. We trusted Bonnie completely and we all felt the Lord’s leading in this baby becoming a Dodson. What is also funny to me is that I still couldn’t talk. I couldn’t call her and ask all my questions. Can you imagine!!! Robert had to do it all! He ran the point on this for a long time until my voice came back! You might wonder why the other two families chose other “routes.” I don’t know but I can guess. Jamie was a 41 year old pregnant woman – did not have custody of her three children (11, 16 and 18 at the time), was living on someone’s couch at the time in return for cleaning the home and she had had no prenatal care for her baby. None of that really mattered to us – and I can say it did matter on our first two adoptions. This adoption was going to break all our rules! On our first adoptions we had clearly stated 1. no drugs and 2. definitely a known father! Jamie told Bonnie she was drug and alcohol free during the pregnancy and we all believed her despite all the red flags. We even worked through that even if the baby was born with drugs that we knew God was calling us to do this. It was that peace that you know is from the Lord. The circumstances seemed to have God’s hand all over them. We called all our friends and families quickly to tell them the news and to ask for prayer for wisdom and guidance. Of course, many thought we were crazy (our age and the mother’s situation)– a few were very excited!! As time went on, everyone was excited. My dad still says today (in fact he said it yesterday…) “Tracy, when you called, I thought you were NUTS. I can’t believe how great Steph is! What would our family do without her?” I really feel if I called my dad and said we were getting another one he would smile and be ecstatic!! In some ways, I feel that Stephanie has given my dad new life. Anyone that sees them together would affirm!
2 comments:
Anxiously awaiting the continuation, as well as all the other kids' stories:-)
Yes- Life without Steph would be oh so boring! Thanks for trusting God on this one! Parker wouldn't have his BEST!
Post a Comment