Jessy's Adoption Story Part 11
Part 11:
Lamentations 3:22-23
The Lord’s lovingkindnesses never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Thy faithfulness.
I know this is getting long…oh well.
Jessy was born at 3:13 p.m. with the cord wrapped around her neck - I saw him slip it quickly over her head – the doctor (the strange one but so nice) said, “this isn’t a sick baby, this is a very healthy baby girl!” I instantly wept and said, “she’s perfect!” Robert was happy but thought she looked like a statue on Easter Island. Her ears were folded over, her face was smashed and she looked gray and ashen. Poor Robert – I don’t think he realized what babies look like right after being born and I'm sure Jessy looked a bit worseafter all the trauma! All I knew is that she had 10 fingers, 10 toes, a perfect mouth (no cleft palate or deformities) and a perfect shaped head and to me looked so beautiful. Her apgar score was a 9 and then a 10 or maybe 2 9’s – I really don’t remember – I was just relieved.
L’s mom remembers: The baby cart brought in was for high-risk babies and the pediatrician was a neonatal specialist. I so appreciated her comment that "This is the healthiest sick baby I've seen." She shared that it was a pleasure to be part of the delivery of a healthy baby.
She then said, “who wants to hold her first?” and L said, “let her mom hold her! “ I remember looking back and forth from her mom to her – they had the same sweet smile and told me to go ahead and hold my daughter. I don’t know how to tell you about this moment. It was one of the best moments in my entire life. My mom and Christie Webb peeked their heads in and were all smiles. There were lots of people in the room as the doctor allowed everyone in there – (her family) – one of her sisters missed the birth because the nurse thought it was still going to be awhile – we almost missed it too and just to eat!!!!
When L finally held her she said, “she smells like chips!”
The doctor finished up – something was terribly wrong with the placenta. He held it up and it was in shreds. It is amazing Jessy survived it – truly. If L had the ultrasound on the Friday it was supposed to be on, everything would have looked fine. Her placenta was unbelievable – it was literally shredded. I had seen normal ones and it was shocking. He said she hadn’t been getting nourishment for 3 days – that the placenta had disintegrated and it was a good thing she was born. That means it started going bad on Saturday. Had the ultrasound been Friday, it would have showed everything to be fine. God is so good!!! We were so thankful it was moved to Monday. It was an amazing scary two days but it was such a relief that she was out and born – and eating great!
Michelle West was at Knott’s celebrating Kyle’s first birthday – they have the same exact birthday! She was able to come by and see the newest Dodson – even that blows me away! I think Patty’s father came by too – I remember him in the waiting room – it might have been the day before. Her dad has been such a huge blessing in our lives. He has prayed for our family so faithfully and helped us during Dani’s adoption.
So now it is Tuesday, December 6, 1994 around dinnertime and Robert and I have our first baby girl. We helped feed her and take care of her but had to go home to get clothes…I think we went back to the hotel – I honestly don’t remember but I think we did. The next day L’s family was going to have a dedication in the chapel at the hospital and all the nurses and doctors were invited. We must have gone home to change and get ready….??? It gets a little scary to not remember all the details but sometimes they come back to me at odd times…so bear with me! Maybe we went home, got clothes and went back to the hotel – that sounds right…Patty says that she remembers that I cried in the parking lot with Bonnie because it was so hard to leave Jessy there. I knew it was important for L to have her time with her and to say goodbye to her – it was just hard to know she is yours – that you finally have a baby - and then to leave her…I had to do that with all my babies – even Nanno! I wasn’t fearful of L changing her mind – I just missed my new daughter.
L wanted a dedication for Jessy – a dedication of Jessy to the Lord, us as parents to the Lord and for L and her future. The attorney and Bonnie were to be there and her family – plus the hospital staff.
Lamentations 3:22-23
The Lord’s lovingkindnesses never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Thy faithfulness.
I know this is getting long…oh well.
Jessy was born at 3:13 p.m. with the cord wrapped around her neck - I saw him slip it quickly over her head – the doctor (the strange one but so nice) said, “this isn’t a sick baby, this is a very healthy baby girl!” I instantly wept and said, “she’s perfect!” Robert was happy but thought she looked like a statue on Easter Island. Her ears were folded over, her face was smashed and she looked gray and ashen. Poor Robert – I don’t think he realized what babies look like right after being born and I'm sure Jessy looked a bit worseafter all the trauma! All I knew is that she had 10 fingers, 10 toes, a perfect mouth (no cleft palate or deformities) and a perfect shaped head and to me looked so beautiful. Her apgar score was a 9 and then a 10 or maybe 2 9’s – I really don’t remember – I was just relieved.
L’s mom remembers: The baby cart brought in was for high-risk babies and the pediatrician was a neonatal specialist. I so appreciated her comment that "This is the healthiest sick baby I've seen." She shared that it was a pleasure to be part of the delivery of a healthy baby.
She then said, “who wants to hold her first?” and L said, “let her mom hold her! “ I remember looking back and forth from her mom to her – they had the same sweet smile and told me to go ahead and hold my daughter. I don’t know how to tell you about this moment. It was one of the best moments in my entire life. My mom and Christie Webb peeked their heads in and were all smiles. There were lots of people in the room as the doctor allowed everyone in there – (her family) – one of her sisters missed the birth because the nurse thought it was still going to be awhile – we almost missed it too and just to eat!!!!
When L finally held her she said, “she smells like chips!”
The doctor finished up – something was terribly wrong with the placenta. He held it up and it was in shreds. It is amazing Jessy survived it – truly. If L had the ultrasound on the Friday it was supposed to be on, everything would have looked fine. Her placenta was unbelievable – it was literally shredded. I had seen normal ones and it was shocking. He said she hadn’t been getting nourishment for 3 days – that the placenta had disintegrated and it was a good thing she was born. That means it started going bad on Saturday. Had the ultrasound been Friday, it would have showed everything to be fine. God is so good!!! We were so thankful it was moved to Monday. It was an amazing scary two days but it was such a relief that she was out and born – and eating great!
Michelle West was at Knott’s celebrating Kyle’s first birthday – they have the same exact birthday! She was able to come by and see the newest Dodson – even that blows me away! I think Patty’s father came by too – I remember him in the waiting room – it might have been the day before. Her dad has been such a huge blessing in our lives. He has prayed for our family so faithfully and helped us during Dani’s adoption.
So now it is Tuesday, December 6, 1994 around dinnertime and Robert and I have our first baby girl. We helped feed her and take care of her but had to go home to get clothes…I think we went back to the hotel – I honestly don’t remember but I think we did. The next day L’s family was going to have a dedication in the chapel at the hospital and all the nurses and doctors were invited. We must have gone home to change and get ready….??? It gets a little scary to not remember all the details but sometimes they come back to me at odd times…so bear with me! Maybe we went home, got clothes and went back to the hotel – that sounds right…Patty says that she remembers that I cried in the parking lot with Bonnie because it was so hard to leave Jessy there. I knew it was important for L to have her time with her and to say goodbye to her – it was just hard to know she is yours – that you finally have a baby - and then to leave her…I had to do that with all my babies – even Nanno! I wasn’t fearful of L changing her mind – I just missed my new daughter.
L wanted a dedication for Jessy – a dedication of Jessy to the Lord, us as parents to the Lord and for L and her future. The attorney and Bonnie were to be there and her family – plus the hospital staff.
4 comments:
Man, I'm weeping like a baby. God is so good! It's neat that He lets us SEE Him work in our lives! Thanks for sharing this! I know it's not for me but it's just such an amazing testimony!
Tracy,
I think it's so great that you are doing this story on Jessy. I have so enjoyed reading every part (and you owe me a box of Kleenex!) I love that God has blessed you with a full house of beautiful children, and marvel at each one's path to the Dodson family. You are a great Mom and a great testimony for the Lord.
Love,
Karen
Finally Jessy is born! Yeah! We love you Dodson's, everyone and what a great testimony you are to God's undying faithfulness. Thank you for letting us get a glimpse into your wonderful family!
i am at work and teary eyed...I really gotta pull myself together here. This is amazing! I always have wanted to adopt, now i don't even think its an option, we for sure will.
Post a Comment