Best X-Ray Model Ever

Steph is still sleeping...last night she woke up with her airways blocked. At first we couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and then we figured it was croup (like on Anne of Green Gables). The Ardo kids had croup a lot when they were younger but I always remember them being sick or congested. Steph wasn't sick at all. We turned the shower on and tried to help her breathing but she could barely breathe (or so it seemed). She was barking like a seal (literally - barking, not coughing!) She also seemed to be choking on something in her throat. We took her to the ER - they gave her treatment quickly (the ER was packed but she got moved right in) - they put her on a cool mist humidifier and gave her a steroid shot (which she did not like very much). All through this time she was incredibly sweet, polite and obedient. They took her to get an x-ray - she asked if it would hurt and the technician said, "Oh no, I am just taking your picture."
Steph sat straight up and smiled at the camera. It was hilarious. He kept telling her she would grow up to be an xray model - they reposititioned her for another shot and when ready, she turned her head toward him and flashed another hollywood smile. She thought she was just on another photoshoot! The tech was cracking up and said he has never had someone smile for an xray before.
They sent her home with a steroid to keep her airways open. They basically said it's a 24 hour thing (for the airways) but that it will then turn into a normal cold. They also said it was good that we came in, that with croup you never want to mess with it - their airways are so tiny and if they get blocked completely you have a big problem.
Stuff like this makes you know how precious their little lives are. We were singing to her the whole time on the way in, trying to keep her calm as there was so little air going into her lungs. Go hug your kids! She was so sweet that as hard as it was, it was a sweet experience. Robert and I took turns holding her and she had the sweetest look on her face - trusting the doctors and us...
Next thing going on around here...I went to give platelets for Dan Gallagher on Monday (please remember to pray for him that his body would respond to the treatment they are giving him - he is an old friend of ours diagnosed with aplastic anemia). I couldn't give platelets because my heart was beating irregular - missing 8 beats per minute. How does your heart miss beats - After they told me that, they asked if I was nervous! Well now I was! I actually am not concerned as I just gave blood two months ago. I am hoping it was just due to the coffee I had, stress (traffic), ?? Anyone else missing beats? They asked me what my doctor has said about it, to which I replied that I don't go to the doctor and when I have they have never said anything -then they told me it can only be found by manually checking your pulse - not with the machine (what machine?). I was really sad not to be able to give my donation to Dan as well - that bummed me out. I asked them to do it anyway and they wouldn't.
Steph's up....Wanted to get this in here so I remembered how cute she was on the Xray table....please pray for her to get well quickly :O)
ONE MORE THING: last night when we prayed dani prayed:
Lord - Please help my mom's heart to stop beating!
We all laughed and told her that wasn't too good of a prayer!!!
7 comments:
Hi Tracy,
I'm sorry about Monday - you know the people at City of Hope always tell me NO caffeine the morning you give - apparently they didn't tell you! I bet that's what was it. Don't be discouraged - try again!
Karen
That is a cute story. I was a little nervous about the title, very good hook. Rachel B. has an irregular heart beat, is that the same thing?
karen - they told me a 1/2 of cup was okay...apparently it wasn't. They also said 8 beats was too many to miss and that I need an EKG! I'm sure it's nothing! I'm hoping to get this straightened out and go back! you had those iron issues and they worked out so pray that this is nothing :O) Thanks!
Renee - I don't know! I'm thinking it is due to the coffee and stress!
renee - i have to laugh - I didn't know what you meant about being nervous about the title...now i get it! it's totally what the tech said and there is no way he meant that either! ha ha!!!
Hope Stephanie feels better soon. Will keep her in my prayers. Garrett had croop a few times. No fun. I heard if you take them out side into the cool air after the steam it helps too. Will also remember you and pray that everything is fine. You were probably just nervous.
tell steph that mrs.renwick says she is sorry she was sick and what a brave girl she was! we really, really missed you today Tracy :)
oh my word Tracy! That is a lot of info to digest! I'm so glad that Steph is ok, and I know YOU will be ok! Dan Gallagher - wow, I had no idea. Thanks for sharing, I haven't talked to them in years, so I will pray! :) wish I could give blood too, but can't, so I know how you feel.
Post a Comment